Re: MOT Charging reactor

Original poster: "J. B. Weazle McCreath" <weazle-at-hurontel.on.ca>

At 04:16 PM 01/09/04 -0600, you wrote:

 >Original poster: "James Robinson" <james.robinson-at-vistek.tv>
 >
 >Hi all,
 >
 >This is my first post to the list, so hello all!
 >
 >What I am wondering is, how easy it is to disassemble an MOT core for
 >the purpose of inserting an air gap.  I assume the laminations are
 >interleaved.

Hi James, Coilers,

Welcome to the list!!  I've dismantled quite a few MOTs and I've yet to
find one where the Es and Is have been interleaved.  I've used a cutoff
wheel in my Dremmel tool to cut thru the welds, and then a few hefty
taps with a hammer and hardwood block separated the E and I sections.
Remove the filament winding and knock out the shunts first, so you've
got a bit of extra space.

73, Weazle, VE3EAR/VE3WZL

Details of my "Hyperbaric Gap" and Tesla coil are at:
http://www.hurontel.on.ca/~weazle