RE: Performance Question

Original poster: "Lau, Gary" <gary.lau-at-hp-dot-com>

On the point about top load size, it's been my experience that a larger
top load than suggested by Dr. R. is better.

On my mini coil with a 1.9" x 9.5" secondary, I started with a 3" x 6"
toroid, and got 9"-10" streamers.  I switched to a 3.5" x 10.75" toroid
(5.6 times the sec diameter) and got 14" streamers.

On my big coil with a 6.25" x 28" secondary, my best performance has
been with a 7" x 30" toroid (4.8 times the sec diameter).

It's important to note that for a coil to function optimally with large
top loads, everything else must be "just right", or else the top load
will be too big and won't break out.  In particular, bang-size is
critical.  Unfortunately optimal top load size is something for which no
formula or agreed-upon guidelines exists.  One can only try something,
then try something else, and see which works best for you.

And to be fair, the definition of what constitutes an optimal top load
is ill-defined.  My definition has been that which results in the
longest single streamer.  An alternate and equally valid definition
might be one that results in numerous smaller, simultaneous streamers
without using a breakout point.  A third perspective may be guided
purely by aesthetics.  I much prefer the look of my mini coil with the
6" toroid over the 11" toroid.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA

Select