Re: Performance Question

Original poster: Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com

tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

>Original poster: "Lau, Gary" <gary.lau-at-hp-dot-com>
>
>On the point about top load size, it's been my experience that a larger
>top load than suggested by Dr. R. is better.
>
>On my mini coil with a 1.9" x 9.5" secondary, I started with a 3" x 6"
>toroid, and got 9"-10" streamers.  I switched to a 3.5" x 10.75" toroid
>(5.6 times the sec diameter) and got 14" streamers.
>
>On my big coil with a 6.25" x 28" secondary, my best performance has
>been with a 7" x 30" toroid (4.8 times the sec diameter).
>
>It's important to note that for a coil to function optimally with large
>top loads, everything else must be "just right", or else the top load
>will be too big and won't break out.  In particular, bang-size is
>critical.  Unfortunately optimal top load size is something for which no
>formula or agreed-upon guidelines exists.  One can only try something,
>then try something else, and see which works best for you.
>
>And to be fair, the definition of what constitutes an optimal top load
>is ill-defined.  My definition has been that which results in the
>longest single streamer.  An alternate and equally valid definition
>might be one that results in numerous smaller, simultaneous streamers
>without using a breakout point.  A third perspective may be guided
>purely by aesthetics.  I much prefer the look of my mini coil with the
>6" toroid over the 11" toroid.
>
>Regards, Gary Lau
>MA, USA

Gary,

I agree, large toroids are better.  My 6.1" secondary uses a 33" x 6"
toroid on top, then a hollow aluminum cylinder spacer of about 16" with a
40" x 6" toroid on top of that.  I probably really need a nice spun toroid
of about 35" x 10" but the combination I am using keeps most of the
discharges away from the primary.

Ed Sonderman