RE: Pushing the IGBT Envelop

Original poster: "Dave Leddon" <leddon1-at-llnl.gov>

At 06:01 AM 9/10/2004, you wrote:
>Original poster: "Steve Conner" <steve.conner-at-optosci-dot-com>
> >I'm going to start checking the dumpsters behind the building here at the
> >laboratory where this work is being performed.
>
>I think that's Greg Leyh's project. His work with IGBTs on those klystron
>modulators indirectly inspired the current crop of big DRSSTCs. So what goes
>around comes around I guess :)
>
>Steve C.

After reading that article yesterday I went over to the lab where the
modulators were developed and spent an hour with Ed Cook who was one of the
design engineers who worked on the project.  He showed me some of the
current batch of modulators as well as some earlier pulse generators based
on mosfets that were developed for Los Alamos.  Very impressive stuff.  I
particularly liked the modulator transformer which consisted of a single
turn, oil-cooled primary.  I showed him a copy of Dan McCauley's DRSSTC
construction notes, figuring that any pulse power engineer would be
enthralled, but he came back with the familiar refrain, "But what's it good
for"?  I then mentioned Greg Leyh's work on Electrum and he said "Oh, I
know Greg".  Small world.

Dave
Pleasanton, CA

David H. Leddon