Re: Calculating capacitance of stacked toroids . . .

Original poster: "Bart Anderson" <tesla111-at-sbcglobal-dot-net>

Hi Dan,

For what it's worth, I ran through these measurements in May of 2001 with 2
stacked toroids. The main purpose of the measurement were comparisons of
two different toroids on the same coil. Following those measurements, I did
go through stacking the toroids and measured them with 3" to 14"
separations as well as swapping toroid positions and running through the
same measurements.

In my notes, I didn't show data for the stacked measurements but noted only
observations. Mainly, the change in capacitance for the separation
distances ranged from 0.6% to 3% and that the capacitance value for the
stack measured near to 1/2 of the sum of their individual capacitances.
Kind of wish I would have logged this data more permanently at the time.
Toroids were similar in size.

However, this is "easily" modelled these days in Javatc, Fantc, or Inca and
the accuracy is very good. These specific programs are particularly useful
for stacked toroids as well as other shapes. I think Javatc will allow up
to 10 stacked toroids.

Take care,
Bart B.