Re: Elevating Secondaries (was Re: First Spark)

Original poster: "David Speck" <dave-at-davidspeckmd-dot-org>

Matt,
There are numerous examples of electrically driven linear actuators on eBay
and at various suppliers.  These devices are not very fast, but can exert
100's of pounds of force.  You will have to make a non-conductive extension
to get the metallic parts down below and  out of the way of the majority of
the field of the primary.  Making useable threads in non-conductive plastic
materials is not an easy thing to do.
You can get inexpensive 3/8" x 48" round white fiberglass electric fence
posts at a farm store for less that $1.00 each.  A circular array of 6 or 8
pieces, held rigid by periodic plywood discs would allow you to adjust your
secondary during operation.  A couple of list members have used a similar
arrangement to adjust the cores of ballast inductors during
operation.  Perhaps a bit of overkill, but very slick.
I think MPJA-dot-com had them a while back, and also possibly SCIplus-dot-com.
Just don't bid me up on the one I'm trying for on eBay right now!  ;o)

HTH,
Dave