Re: Pushing the IGBT Envelop

Original poster: "Greg Leyh" <lod-at-pacbell-dot-net>

Interesting website, and coil work!  I'm still unclear on the DRSSTC theory
of operation, however.  Near as I can figure, the system actually runs as
an oscillator, but in a quasi-CW mode for relatively short bursts, at an
unspecified dwell and repetition rate.  Is this roughly correct?

H-bridge drives are great for power converters to 100's of kW, and
especially when operation from a unipolar DC source is required.
However, an H-Bridge plan wouldn't be cost-effective for the ALF since it
requires 4X the silicon for the same primary peak current and voltage swing
-- an important consideration when the material costs for the silicon alone
is likely to be mid 6-figures.  H-bridges are also susceptable to
'shoot-through' failure, where timing errors or cosmic-ray induced firing
of IGBTs can hard-short the DC mains, resulting in catastrophic failure of
the entire IGBT stack.  For perspective, here's a photo of a catastrophic
H-bridge drive failure at another lab, believed to have been caused by a
cosmic ray induced false-triggering one of the IGBTs:
http://www-group.slac.stanford.edu/esd/HBridgeDebris.jpg

The IGBT casings and structures can be seen evenly distributed on the
floor.  This failure occurred on a system operating at several hundred
kW... imagine scaling this up to a 5MW system!  It's clear that
partitioning the primary drive circuitry in order to isolate component
failures will be essential for a 5MW primary drive system.