Re: Coil Doesn't Fire

Original poster: "Bart Anderson" <tesla111-at-sbcglobal-dot-net>

Hi Jim,

Hey, Robert is correct here. I thought the 0.0043uF value you gave was the
total bank capacitance, but I see it was the individual cap value. Robert's
concerns are real. Because your individual cap values are so low
(0.0043uF), you'll be hard pressed to get a decent total capacitance as
well as a decent voltage rating without adding several more caps. This is
why we like to use higher value caps for MMC's. i.e., CD's 942's 0.15uF
caps (which the Geek Group sells).

As it is now, the total bank is 0.0065uF and good for only 12kV (in other
words, terrible). The caps will likely fail, soon. You need to re-think the
cap design. There are a lot of cap programs to help with the task, although
it's not difficult just to do the math on paper.

Here's what I use (of course):
http://www.classictesla-dot-com/java/javammc/javammc.html

Take care,
Bart B.