Re: Diode strings - equalizing resistors

Original poster: "Peter Terren" <pterren1-at-iinet-dot-net.au>

It is easier to use more diodes, but you must use enough.  Save the
resistors and use more diodes. I've blown 40 x IN4007's with resistors with
diodes as easily as 40 x IN4007's without.
Use more diodes than you think. For a 15kV NST the voltage a single diode
and capacitor will be exposed to is 42kV. But allow for 10% variac
increase, and a 50-100% allowance for uneven voltage sharing at the time of
reverse bias plus transients and you should use 70-90kV.  This is up to 6
times the intuitive level you might expect for a 15kv NST.
Similarly microwave ovens use an 11kV rated diode for a 2kV transformer ie
nearly 6 times.
My string of 300 diodes.
http://tesladownunder.iinet-dot-net.au/Diode300kv.jpg
Peter