Re: another question about neon transformers and multipliers

Original poster: "S&JY" <youngsters-at-konnections-dot-net>

Jack,

In the first place, your transformer is rated 15 KV with no load.  The 30 ma
is with a very low resistance load, such as a neon sign tube or a short.
About the best you can get is 10 KV -at- 20 ma out of the unmodified
transformer.  There are tricks to get more, such as running the primary at a
high voltage, removing the magnetic shunts, and/or using a load with a
capacitive reactance such that it causes a resonance with the supply
frequency.  Since you are an inexperienced beginner, I don't recommend you
do any of these.

Your tripler is designed to run at about 16 kHz.  Running it at 50 or 60 Hz
won't work because the capacitors in your tripler will be far too small.
They will act like very high value resistors, greatly limiting the current
they can pass.  If you do it, you might get roughly 50 KV at a few
microamps - not very useful except for an air ionizer, electrostatic
precipitator, etc.

However, you are likely to also get a burned out NST.  NSTs are not designed
to run at full voltage continuously, as would happen with your tripler.
Neon signs need the high voltage to ionize the neon or other gas, then the
voltage drops down substantually once the gas is ionized and conduction
starts.

If you search the list archives, there have been various postings over the
years about voltage multipliers that may prove educational for you.  Also,
try to find a new or used "The ARRL Handbook for Radio Amateurs" and read
the power supply theory and construction articles - very helpful
information.

--Steve Y.