Re: 16 kV 250 mA TC transformers

Original poster: "Scott Hanson" <huil888-at-surfside-dot-net>

Well, not exactly.

The real issue is tooling cost for the punch and die sets that would be
required if the core components were to be "stamped". Each die set can
easily cost $15,000 or more, and two die sets would be required for this
transformer.

With laser cutting, there is no tooling cost, only the cost for programming
the CNC laser cutting path.

If tens of thousands of core sets are required, it is economically
justifiable to pay the high cost of punch and die sets as the tooling cost
can be amortized over the hundreds of thousands of parts the tooling can
produce over its useful life.

Laser-cut parts are individually far more expensive, but if you are only
making a few hundred core sets its the only economical way to do it.

Another possible option would be to design the transformer so it could
utilize available core components from X-ray transformers or other large
transformers for which production tooling already exists. Like NSTs, the
magnetic shunts could be separate small core stacks that that would be
inserted at the time the transformer is assembled.

Regards,
Scott Hanson