From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com]
Sent: Monday, September 27, 2004 6:38 PM
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: was RE: First coil built

Original poster: "Peter Terren" <pterren1-at-iinet-dot-net.au>

Once you take into account the secondary coil height (?3 feet from memory)
added to the tertiary height of 1 foot the spark length to height ratio
(11:4) was a lot less and quite comparable to a normal Tesla coil. My TC
has a 3:1 ratio of spark length to height of secondary winding.
Richard Hull's classic TC had a spark to sec. ratio of 3.5. This is from a
quote on his site:(as I can't get through to his site)
http://www.richmond.infi-dot-net/~rhull/highenergy003.htm
"Among the finest of our systems was "Nemesis", a 14" diameter, 48 inch
tall classic coil which regularly produced 14 foot long arcs when operated
near its maximum of 9kva input energy. Another superb Tesla coil system was
Magnifier #11E which utilized a small 12 inch long, 3 inch
diameter resonator that produced an astounding 10 feet of output arc with
only 5-6kva input energy."

To quote John Freau "I wonder if anyone has placed a 1" tall tiny resonator
coil on top of their
classic coil and called it a magnifier and then claimed a spark length of
of 100 times the resonator length or whatever?"