Re: DRSSTC thoughts...

Original poster: "Jimmy Hynes" <JPHynes-at-gmail-dot-com>

 >If only the bigger IGBTs could withstand such abuse.  I only run my
 >CM300s at 2X their peak rating

Who say's they can't? I don't!

 >50V is the "killer" there....  But above 30V does no addled good...

I can't find it now, but I had an application note that said the 50%
failure point was around 70-80v

 >"Top of die" heat sinking is typically a "giant" disaster in the
 >industry...  Cray tried it but.... Disaster...   Best to use old "thin die"
 >bottom thermal dissipation teck there...  Happily, within reach of
 >"basement shops" these days ;-)))

Prolly still tough, but the idea was to put a piece of copper on it
for sucking up transients. it doesnt really have to move any net heat
out, jut to make it have more thermal capacitance

 >About the cooling issues, especially the die's, and whole devices, I like
 >water cooling

The problem was allowing the die to suck up more energy during the
short bursts. Getting the heat out of the heatsink is not a problem at
all here.