Re: DRSSTC thoughts...

 > I don't know who started the DI water is a good thing years ago but I do
 > wish they would go away.

The ARRL Amateur Radio Handbook, probably.  Either there, or in some other
ARRL book, there's a whole discussion of watercooling (retrofit) a glass
envelope RF power tube, probably at 3kV anode voltage.  The original person
probably used distilled water, and somewhere along the line, I'd guess that
the wording got changed to DI (hey, it's a better insulator.. it must be
better, right?)

While ARRL does have lots of practical data, the accuracy and vetting of
little technical details (like DI vs other water) is probably not what one
would expect.  I had some back and forth with the editors about an article
published in QST for a 700V plate supply to replace a venerable tube based
supply and the picture showed a DMM connected with the tiny Radio Shack
style clipleads tangled with the power cord, etc.  And, there were some
component rating and design safety issues.   Not that it can't be done
safely, it's just that the pictures shouldn't encourage bad practices.  The
author of the article responded directly to me, and made some assertions
which, while I hesitate to call them outright lies, would be tough to
validate (i.e. he claimed the wires in the photo were HV clipleads... which
made me wonder if he had ever seen real HV wire).  I can fairly confidently
assert that the author had no HV design experience (where HV is defined as
 >100V) based on his component selection and layout.  What makes it worse is
that he's selling kits.

  I run into this issue almost every day in tech