Re: big coil history

Original poster: "Malcolm Watts" <m.j.watts@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Jim, all,
              The resonator behaves much like a 1/4 wave transformer
with one end grounded, free-end Z defined by that and Zo and so-on.
But the wirelength thing was something Tesla desperately tried to
reconcile in his writings. Nature forced him to give up trying and he
resorted to the lumped parameters to get some answers as to why his
resonators were resonating as they did. I guess it's time to get the
Notes out again and refresh the grey matter over the weekend.
        Some of his writings were pretty handwaving stuff - he once
said that the primary should be half a wavelength long at Fr for at
least one of his machines but then conceded that in fact it had to
resonate in sympathy with the secondary in order to work properly.
I'm now trying to recall whether he actually calculated the voltage
output of his machines using the classic energy conservation argument
using lumped parameters. I have a sneaking suspicion that he didn't
and that had he done so, would have been in for a bit of a shock
(npi). He did handwave a bit about unlimited output potentials and so-
on, probably in the context of CW driving the coil while all the time
running his highest powers using disruptive discharge. Yep - time to
re-read the CS Notes.

Malcolm