Re: PFC

"I have 2 9kv-60ma NST's that I bought from someone on the list a couple
of
years ago. They are Franceformer part # 9060PC, and they are marked
300VA
and also High Power Factor.Can anyone tell me if these are power factor
corrected or do I need to add PFC caps?
Thanks,
Jerry"

	They are corrected for minimum line current in normal usage.  However,
I still can't understand some of the rules of thumb for "power factor
correction" of TC power transformers, considering that the load is
already capacitive and disruptive in nature.  I can see the possible
benefit of a large capacitor across the line in reducing high-current
glitches, but the rest is a mystery.  (In NST's there's often a tertiary
winding with the PFC capacitor connected to it, apparently to reduce
capacitor size.) The subject's been discussed here many times in the
past.

Ed