Re: Trial and error

Original poster: "Malcolm Watts" <m.j.watts@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Steven,
           Too much time? 20 minutes? I'm reminded what Tesla said
about Edison's approach to design: something to the effect that he
..."proceded to diligently search for a needle in a haystack when a
little thought and calculation would have saved him 90% of his
labour..." or something pretty close to it. Experimenting is a lot of
fun and a great learning experience (been there, done that of course)
but if you are building something with a purpose, you could do better
than to spend 90% of your time debugging it and possibly throwing a
faulty design out altogether.
     Designing can be hard yakker and it doesn't get any easier as
one ages save that one has, if one has done the hard yards, a world
of experience to draw on. Getting something right first time and not
having to repeat one's efforts is most gratifying. My personal
philosophy on design is that if you can't justify the inclusion of
every component and its value, the job is not done properly. The coil
I mentioned in my post (Coil 5 in the photos I posted) was a simple
test of everything I had learnt about coil design to that point. The
first light results were as startling as they were rewarding. By way
of contrast I should post a photo of an earlier coil which used
exactly the same transformer and primary capacitance. Watch my space
on Terry's website.

Malcolm