RE: Spark gap metals

Original poster: "Ralph Zekelman" <gridleak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Karl, All:

I'm not at all sure about "slack."

Many of us at 16 and even 14 sweated our 13 WPM and theory exam for
the then Class B ham ticket. The number who had to try the exam 2 or 3
times had us all convinced that the FCC inspectors were not inclined
towards
slack. We studied the Radio Amateurs Handbook, Henney, and Morecroft. We

experimented with the circuits and learned the value of trial and error.

There was not then, and there is not now, any substitute for disciplined
study.

Ralph Zekelman

-----Original Message----- From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla@xxxxxxxxxx] Sent: Monday, April 11, 2005 8:54 AM To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx Subject: Re: Spark gap metals

Original poster: Karl Lindheimer <karl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Malcolm, All...

Please cut Steven a little slack.  He is only 16 years old, and is very
enthusiastic about building a Tesla coil for his project.  After a
rather
hasty start (and bad advice from his teacher,) and despite a lot of
advice
from the list, he met with NO_VA.  HOWEVER, he seems very resilient, and
am confident that he will bounce back, and complete his project as
planned.  By the way, every coilers' successes or failures act to build
this list up as a very valuable experimental aid.  I think we can thank
Steven for some of the most active volume of postings and responses in
quite some time for this list.

Karl

On Apr 10, 2005, at 10:30 PM, Tesla list wrote:

>Trust me, I may be new at this, but I can tell you that fan cooled heat
>  sinks or at least copper pipe(the longer the better) will do just as
>  good, if not better, than tungsten rods.
>
>Steven Steele

Steven,

         A word of advice: before you go telling others what's good
and bad it would be as well for you to know what you are talking
about.

A number of people have suggested you go
and read information from various sources. With respect to Tesla
Coils, this list's archives contain an enormous amount of information
on every aspect of coiling and you would do well to start right there.

Malcolm