Re: Terry's DRSSTC - Experiment - A curious thing...

Original poster: Bert Hickman <bert.hickman@xxxxxxxxxx>

Tesla list wrote:
Hi All,
I tried my experiment and found something very odd!!
I was running small streamers (~8 inches) here in the basement off a sharp tip on the terminal.
The 1, 2, 3... pulse thing did not seem too interesting. After about 5 to 10 pulse the streamers seem to reach a maximum level. After that they just last longer but their length does not increase....
But one thing that certainly did get my attention was this.
After about 400 BPS and certainly from 600 - 1000 BPS the streamer length "cyclically" goes from a small brushy discharge to a long single streamer as a function of BPS. Sort of like this:
500BPS = short sparks
550BPS = long single arc
600 BPS = short sparks
700 BPS = long single arc
.
.
.

Sounds like you might be getting an interaction with the line frequency due to bus sagging/recovery versus line phase. If the rail voltage is sagging and partially recovering due to periodic recharging from the incoming 60 Hz line, you may see an aliasing effect that shows up every half cycle of line voltage. If this was occurring, you'd expect to get smaller sparks when the bus voltage sags significantly without getting recharged by the next rising line voltage haversine. By increasing the break rate by another 30 BPS or so, you' then "catch" the next rising AC input haversine, the rail voltage recovery then provides a growing output RF voltage envelope towards the end of the pulse train (and thus longer streamers). Amazing that you are seeing such a large effect. though - look at your rail voltages versus burst phasing...

-- Bert --
--
-