RE: Primary Frustration!

Original poster: "Daniel Koll" <dk_spl_audio@xxxxxxxxxxx>

I finally got it done. The reason I wanted to hold it in place before I wound was to makes sure that the diameter of the circles would perfect. The coil "pulled in" harder and harder as the more I wound. I ended up having to cut 45* wood braces and plexi braces (went against the secondary and the primary supports) to hold that thing put. I couldn't believe how much force it had wanting to shift, pull in, or move. I also couldn't get the tubing to go down the hole that I drilled, I ended up having to cut it short. I will have to come up with a way to bring a conductor up through the hole and attach to the primary. Here is a link to a pic, not the best but I am pleased seeing as this is my first coil.
http://img38.echo.cx/img38/5771/myteslacoilprimary2jg.jpg

From: "Tesla list" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: Primary Frustration!
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 16:21:18 -0600

Original poster: "Rich" <rdjmgmt@xxxxxxxxxx>

When I made mine I drilled the holes 17/64 for the 1/4 tube because of
the radius a 1/4 hole is too small but the .016 gives enough extra and I
did not try to hold the supports in place until after the tube was in
place , also I drilled and tapped a 6-32 hole in the lower edge of each
support , the gave me a place to bolt the support to the plywood base.

Rich

"Well, the epoxy broke off too.  I am getting really upset, kind of
funny
how much time I have spent doing this.  I am now trying Gorilla Glue,
hopefully that will do it.  If it doesn't then I am going to have to use
hardware of some sort to mount it.  I have yet to see Gorilla Glue fail
anywhere so I think it should be good.

Also, I wound a few turns before the epoxy broke and it was really easy,
drilling the next size up really helped, thanks!"

        Hot melt glue would probably work; it's not pretty but sure
quick and
easy.

Ed