Re: uestion

Original poster: "Gerald  Reynolds" <gerryreynolds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Ben,

Original poster: "Medina, Benjamin (UMR-Student)" <bamxbb@xxxxxxx>

1. When tuning (at low power and with a target next to the toroid) is there
a max spark length one can get? Is there a mathematical equation for this?
I've seen the following eqn, but I imagine it does not apply to the sparks
obtained when tuning your TC.

spark length (inches) = 1.7*­ input power (watts)

I think you mean 1.7 * sqrt (real input power - watts)

2. We know that the important thing on the toroid is for the surface to be
smooth. If there are rough spots or small openings on the Al duct, we'll
see streamers radiating out from there instead of other places, correct?

Where I am going is, can I control how the streamers spark out (pattern)?
For example; from a lot random sparks at random locations on the toroid, to
a few large sparks at certain locations on the toroid, to one big spark on
one "main" spot on the toroid.

You can control the place of breakout using a sharp breakout point (like a tack or nail). This will direct the streamers in one direction like if you are trying to get a long spark.

3. With the NST connected in parallel to the SG (rest of the ckt components
disconnected), what happens to the both components if I keep increasing the
input voltage to the NST more and more and more (as I turn turn the knob on
the variac) once the gap has fired across? I am asking before I try this,
in case something might blow up.   :-)

This is fine, you wont blow anything up. The NST's are current limited and with the capacitance removed, there wont be any resonances. This is the way to set your safety gap (if you have one) to just not fire at maximum variac setting.

4. Do the losses in my wiring diminish the voltage at the topload? In other
words, if I have shorter wires can I get to see longer streamers?

Well, yes. Any reduction in losses will help. The real question is, is this significant considering other losses.

5. This is regarding when the air across the gap ionizes. What is the
overall effect if I do not have a muffin/blower fan across my gap? The
temperature will be high and will it try to complete the ckt all the time?

The ionized gas and hot electrode will hurt quenching. Better if you blow the ionized gas out of the gap and cool the electrode at the same time. Lack of good quenching will allow energy that has just been transfered into the secondary to flow back to the primary.

Good luck Ben,

Gerry R.