Re: Advice for new coil

Original poster: Tyler <blimpie120@xxxxxxxxx>

Since your wanting to upgrade to 120mA at 15KV, I
would probably go with a bit larger secodary. I did a
few calculations for you (using "TeslaMap" and
assuming 5% real world losses in a few items), and
this is what I came up with. You can change your
secondary wire, you could move that down to a 24 AWG,
that will move it to around 1200 turns, around 2,000
ft, and around 2.5 lbs of wire. Keep in mind your res.
cap, and freq will change if you do a different top
load, but this can give you a general idea of the
setup. This will be close to one that TheDDN group is
assembling,(http://ddn.suroot.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=25&Itemid=33)

---------- Power Supply ----------
NST V Out 	15 kV
NST I Out   	120 mA
NST Input V	120 V
NST Input F	60 Hz
NST VA     	1,800.0
NST Watts 	1,825.5 W
NST Impedance	125 Kohms
Max Arc Length	72.6 in
NST PFC Cap	331.6 uF

---------- Primary Capacitor ----------
Your Cap   	unknown
Resonate Cap	21.2 nF
LTR Static Cap	29.7 nF
LTR Sync Cap	40.3 nF
Your Cap Joules	unknown
Resonate Joules	4.77
Static Joules	6.68
Sync Joules	9.07

---------- Secondary Coil ----------
Single build magnet wire
26 AWG
Wire Length	2,491.0 ft
Wire Weight	1.91 lbs
Wire Resistance	102.2 ohms
Coil Height	27 in
Coil Diameter	6 in
Coil H/W Ratio	4.5 : 1
Coil Turns  	1,586.6
Inductance 	72.47 mH
Capacitance	11.00 pF

---------- Top Load ----------
Overall Diameter    	15 in
Ring Diameter         4 in
Top Load Adjustment	95 %
Top Load Capacitance	18.09 pF

---------- Top Load + Secondary ----------
Resonate F	109.62 kHz

---------- Primary ----------
Wire Diameter	0.25 in
Wire Spacing	0.25 in
Hole Diameter	8 in
Coil Angle 	0 degrees
Coil Adjust  	95 %

Needed primary inductance with:
Your Cap    	unknown
Resonate Cap	39.76 uH
Larger Than Resonance Static Cap	28.40 uH
Larger Than Rresonance Sync Cap	        20.92 uH

Turn 1	0.5 uH
Turn 2	1.7 uH
Turn 3	3.6 uH
Turn 4	6.2 uH
Turn 5	9.5 uH
Turn 6	13.5 uH
Turn 7	18.2 uH
Turn 8	23.8 uH
Turn 9	30.1 uH
Turn 10	37.4 uH
Turn 11	45.6 uH
Turn 12	54.7 uH
Turn 13	64.8 uH
Turn 14	76.0 uH
Turn 15	88.3 uH  overall diameter of 22.5", tubing
length of about 60 feet.

Hope that helped a bit for a general idea on your setup... ~Blimpie

--- Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote: > Original poster: Rich Simpson > <richcreations@xxxxxxxxx> > > Hi Everyone, > > After destroying the secondary of my first coil by > running it with a 6-MOT > stack (it was only a 4" coil, and not very well > made, but the burnt plastic > smell was impressive) I decided to start again. > > I have all the thin walled 4" green sewer pipe (not > foam cored) I could want. > > I do not want to use the MOTS again right now, but > will continue to use > NSTs instead. > > I have a single static (air blast) gap, made from 1" > pipe, made of > copper/pvc) fed by a shopvac > > Primary will be a flat pancake of 1/4 copper tubing, > how many turns should > it have? what outside dia? > > I have a lot of "beer bottle caps", in series > strings of 3 bottles x > however strings I need, I plan to build a MMC later, > but cash is short. > > I have 15kv/60ma worth of NST right now, but want to > be able to add more > later (120ma total), how much is a 4" coil good for? > > I was planning on using 22AWG wire for the > secondary, is this a good > choice? About how tall should the secondary winding > be? > > I tried using JavaTC, but I do not have enough info > to figure it out, and I > use a mac, so no wintesla, or other useful stuff... > > thanks, > -Rich > > >