Re: New Coil

Original poster: BunnyKiller <bunikllr@xxxxxxx>

Hey Adam...

you may want to consider going 2" spacing on the primary to secondary at the base... 1.5" may be good for stopping primary/secondary arcing but at that level of power ( all those caps) you may have some secondary racing arcs ( coupling could be a bit tight with the primary that close...)

your main toroid may be a tad bit small... Im running a 6X24 and a 12X56 on mine and still could use a larger main toroid...

also, what are you using as far as current control? voltage control?
variacs and inductors? do tell...   :)

Scot D

Tesla list wrote:

Original poster: Yurtle Turtle <yurtle_t@xxxxxxxxx>

I've been working on my new coil for over a year now,
so it's not really new anymore! Anyway, I'm building
the following and would appreciate some advise on
primary/secondary elevation spacing. I've received
advise before, but can't find the posts. Sorry.

PSU: 25 kVA 240/14.4 pig fed up to 280 volts and up to
100 amps (prolly just 50 at first)

http://www.hot-streamer.com/adam/garage/pig_14.4kV_25kVA_2.jpg

Tank Cap: 10 - 35 kv 30 nF MMC (Multi Maxwell Caps)

http://www.hot-streamer.com/adam/garage/Maxwells_30_nF_35kV_1.jpg

SRSG: 120/240/480 bps, 3,600 rpm, 4 - 1/2" tungsten
static and 8 - 1/2" rotary electrodes

Secondary: 10.75" x 54.5" 1,253 turns of AWG18 with 6"
x 24" and 8" x 34" spun toroids

http://www.hot-streamer.com/adam/bigass_coil/Coil.jpg

Primary 3/8" tubing, 3/8" spacing with 1.5" spacing
between innermost turn and secondary.

I've seen many posts from the Doc on elevation
difference between primary and secondary. I assume the
3" - 4" recommended depends on the spacing between
innermost turns between primary and secondary. Since I
have 1.5" between primary and secondry, or 10.75"
secondary OD and 13.75" primary ID, what would be a
good elevation difference to shoot for?

thanks
Adam