Re: Primary pipe size/spacing questions?

Original poster: Tyler <blimpie120@xxxxxxxxx>

Yea, Menards here doesn't even carry anything longer
than 20' of 1/4" pipe, and all the plumbing shops want
$30-$50 for a 50' roll of 1/4". There is no Home
depot, Lowes, or any other large hardware stores up
here either. Hell, I havent even found someone else
with a telsla up here in North Dakota.

You said a larger pipe may requre more space between
turns. I was actually still planning on going with a
1/4" spacing between turns, should I increase this to
say, 5/16", or 3/8"?

Thanks again for the input
~Blimpie

--- Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote: > Original poster: Steve Ward <steve.ward@xxxxxxxxx> > > More power is not required for larger diameters of > conductor. Larger > conductors simply offer lower resistance (which is > good for any > power). The larger conductor will need slightly > more spacing between > turns, this will affect the over all inductance (as > you mention) but > more inductance again doesnt imply anything about > the power needed to > drive it. Does that answer your question? > > the 3/8" tubing will work just fine keeping in mind > it will produce a > physically larger primary for a given number of > turns (and similar > inductances). > > Is 3/8" really cheaper than 1/4" where you live? I > paid $25 for 60' > of 3/8" at menards, and $13 for 50' of 1/4" at home > depot, but home > depot wanted much more for the 60' of 3/8". Just > goes to show its > good to shop around. > > Steve Ward > > On 4/26/05, Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote: > > Original poster: Tyler <blimpie120@xxxxxxxxx> > > > > Ok, I am in the process of building/designing > another > > coil. Currently, I have around 1300 watts of > power > > available, a 6.312" x 28.375" secondary with 24 > ga > > wire. I am currently on the design phase for the > > primary, and have a few questions. First, I see > that > > most people are using 1/4" copper pipe. The > problem > > is, for me to get 60' of pipe its gonna cost > me... I > > did find some 3/8" pipe in a 60' roll for > $20(us). > > Here's my question, I would assume, that the > larger > > the pipe you use the more 'driving' power it > takes to > > create a magnetic field? The same thing goes for > the > > spacing, I see that the further I space the > windings, > > I get more inductance per turn. Thus again, I > would > > assume more 'driving' power to get the same > magnetic > > field. > > > > So, for my application, (around 1300 watts, 3 > NST's > > paralleled) is 3/8" pipe a bit to large? > > > > Also, as for cutting 'slots' in acrylic to make > the > > standoffs for the primary, how did you guys cut > them, > > just with a table saw and fence? > > > > Thanks in advance, > > ~Blimpie > > > > > > >