Re: 7.1Hz, Frequency variation and Q

Original poster: William Beaty <billb@xxxxxxxxxx>

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005, Tesla list wrote:

> 	Not mixing but just simple vector addition.  Every once in a while the
> rotating vectors representing the two signals add up in phase and a peak
> occurs.

But don't forget that this isn't generalized theory, this is about driving
the 8Hz earth resonance (no arc discharges occurring, 8Hz frequency
difference, 50KHz operating band or similar.)  If we connect two TC main
terminals to the same antenna tower, or to the same x-ray beam aimed
upwards, they're not just going to add up, since one TC secondary sees the
other one as an off-resonance waveguide connected to ground.  Or are you
imagining using two resistors in series with the TC outputs to act as a
summing network?

Since the OTHER TC secondary is off resonance when driven by the first TC
secondary, it won't have a high impedance, so it should act like a short
to ground.  So when you drive the two different secondaries, the first
shorts out the second, and vice versa, so together they'd act as if they
were both mis-tuned.  As I understand it, when you connect the two
different secondaries together like that, either they can oscillate at a
single frequency that lies midway between their frequencies when not
connected together...  or at all other drive frequencies they'll be
mistuned and won't work very well.  No beat notes.  For beat notes we'd
have to sum their outputs together somehow, with impedance matching that
prevented them from pulling each other off frequency...  rather than just
connecting them with a wire.