Re: 20 joules at 100 bps vs 4 joules at 500 bps

Original poster: "Dmitry (father dest)" <dest@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Hello Jim.

Tl> Original poster: Jim Lux <jimlux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

>>Original poster: "Dmitry (father dest)" <dest@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>>
>>Hello Steve.
>>
>>Tl> Original poster: Steve Conner <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

>>Tl> I believe it should be about 1.2 metres since the breakdown strength
>>Tl> of air is 3MV/m and the tracking strength across a surface is roughly
>>Tl> one-third of that- 1MV/m.
>>
>>where did you find that? It`s 3MV/m for DC, but we have HF AC, so this
>>value can be several times smaller, 1MV/m - i like it much more :-)

Tl> I don't know that the AC breakdown voltage is all that much different Tl> than the DC breakdown voltage, certainly not factors of 2 or 3 different.

ac voltage causes more heavy dielectric ionisation than dc. for
example - maximum ac voltage amplitude for lots of film caps even at
low frequencies more than 2 times smaller their dc rated voltage. in
fact, ac peak-to-peak voltage couldn`t exceed rated dc voltage.

-----
I am skeptical about space aliens too, but space aliens have a greater
probability of existence in my opinion than extra garage space...
(c) Richard Quick  6-07-95 03:59