RE: Stupid Idea, Maybe?

Original poster: "Lau, Gary" <Gary.Lau@xxxxxx>

The use of two toroids helps prevent primary strikes by allowing the
main discharge toroid to be raised above the top of the secondary (i.e.
further from the primary).  The lower toroid serves only to prevent
corona off the top of the secondary.

It's difficult to predict without trying it if your bowl will provide
adequate corona protection.  It may, but it sets a limit to how far
above it the main toroid may be located.

The other thing I would mention is that your 8.5x39" secondary is
substantial in size, suggesting a moderately powerful power supply.  But
your main toroid seems rather small by comparison.  There is no
agreed-upon rule of thumb for sizing the top load, but typically the
length of the secondary is comparable with the major diameter of the
toroid.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA

<http://www.knology.net/~amdx/>http://www.knology.net/~amdx/