RE: Safe distance for photographing operating tesla coils with digital cameras?

Original poster: "Derek Woodroffe" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

I've shot many pictures of TC's working form various distances..
http://www.roffesoft.co.uk/tesla/pictures/mypics/pics.htm

Re: Photo-Purity..
	What exposure does your eye use ??, It certainly has persistence of
vision for more than 20ms. Take the pictures to make them look as good as
you can. Unless you are discussing the finer points of streamer formation.
Does it really matter.

Re: picture with artefacts that might have been due to EMF

	My Old Fuji finepix 2600 Zoom would give various anomalies when
really close, but I never damaged it. I always backed off when I saw them
appearing though.

>So the question still remains. What would be the minimum distance for coils.

	To be safe, basically 2x the max arc distance is about the minimum I
will go.

	The most likely way of breaking you camera with TC's is if you have
the camera, on a tripod, and you touch the camera there can be a substantial
PD between you and the camera, I have drawn sparks from the shutter button
one or twice, Try to get into the habit of grabbing the tripod first, then
toughing the camera.

>Except that the infrared remote control on the Olympus would never work while the coil was firing. I think radiated EMI got through the window and jammed the sensor.

	I too have had problems with remote triggering around TC's, but I
don't think it's the light that does it, I suspect Rf interference. My Nikon
D70's remote becomes intermittently un-responsive, even if the remote is
directly in front of the IR sensor.