Re: Async BPS and LTR

Original poster: Mddeming@xxxxxxx

In a message dated 8/2/05 11:31:52 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:
Original poster: "Ethersmith" <siveya@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Could someone give me briefing on the relationship between BPS and tank
capacitor size?

I am designing a propeller style ARSG with a maximum BPS (no limiting
through variac) of 433 BPS

Does BPS effect the size of tank cap I need? Or can I just match it to my
NST as I would a static gap circuit?

I have read quite a bit in the archives about Larger Than Resonance. This
seems like a very prudent element to build in. However, with an ARSG running
at 433 BPS will I be putting enough charge into the capacitors if they are
sized at LTR?

Questions, questions, and a host of networked humans.

Thank you!

--Ethersmith

Hi Et,
ASRGs almost always result in significantly shorter life expectancy for NSTs. unless you are using DC charging. Because the RSG and supply voltages are not at the same frequency, you will get "beats". On some cycles the cap may not discharge at all and so sometimes you will get double the expected voltage. A 15 kV NST does not do well with 40+ kV pulses coming back at it. Even MOV-style filters have a problem with frequent really big spikes. If you are rectifying the NST output, then the problem goes away.
The concept of LTR assumes charging is taking place at line frequency (100 BPS or 120 BPS) and does not have any real meaning when the gap firing is at a higher rate.

Hope this provides some insight,

Matt D