Re: Tesla Coils & Ball Lightning

Original poster: Mddeming@xxxxxxx

In a message dated 8/2/05 11:33:40 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:
Original poster: "Chris Rutherford" <chris1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Brett,

It's hard to convince sceptics, an investigator with long experience
in lighting and high voltage work published a paper claming that out
of thousands of photographs studied there was no indication of ball
lightning.  "Berger, K (1973).  Ball lighting and lighting research".

There HAVE been no verifiable photographs ever taken of Ball Lightning, so a paper stating this is not making any "claim".

It is consequently unlikely that a lightning professional would risk
ridicule and due criticism through being associated with a subject
such as BL, one might as well study witchcraft.  I on the other had
don't care, but who's going to listen to my ideas or beliefs :-)

Actually, professional researchers and many amateurs only invest their time, effort, and MONEY in areas where they feel they may some possibility on making a meaningful contribution. Obviously, this is not such an area.

I believe Tesla knew what he was talking about at this stage (before he 'went mad'). See CSN p111, p333, 368-372, 431-432 All have references to BL.

Citing line numbers in a patent is very useful. Citing chapter and verse in a bible use useful al long as everyone is of the same faith. Referring to particular page numbers in CSN is not helpful, because the contents of any particular page varies from publisher to publisher and edition to edition. Entries in CSN are more easily identifiable by date.
e.g. I have a Xerox copy of C. L. Dodgson's (aka Lewis Carroll's) handwritten manuscript of "Alice's Adventures Underground" I would challenge anyone with a copy of "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland" to tell me what I mean if I refer to page 37.
I agree more evidence is required, so the search
goes on. I think another Golka type magnifier is required, this time
with FES and more power. It's just a matter of time... any
volunteers? You can not refute nature, she is always right.

If you are that interested, please invest your time and your life savings and report back in a decade or so.

Some Tesla quotes on BL

http://www.hackinghardware.com/tesla/balllite.txt

Thanks

Chris R

Tesla never actually refers to Ball Lightning by that name, but rather only to fire balls being created on several coils. ( and I'm SURE he was a good enough engineer to be able to distinguish between fire and electricity). ;-)

Matt D.