Re: Safety Considerations

Original poster: "Peter Terren" <pterren@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Sparks are very high temperature but the spark channel is very narrow and not a lot of the total spark length energy is dissipated at the point of contact. They also tend to be one off or at least a short train of 10 - 15 pulses. A match will supply more energy locally (and still won't light carpet).
Don't try this over flammable liquids though as the results may be different....
I don't think you will need the fire extinguisher for TC sparks. Your primary circuitry is much more likely to overheat though. Don't use a water based fire extinguisher of course.

Peter
http://tesladownunder.com/

"Speaking of safety, what is the deal with all of these pictures I see
of tesla coils operating indoors?!?  I've seen strikes hitting carpet,
curtains and all sorts of seemingly flammable materials...why no fires?

I plan to do most of my testing outdoors with a fire extinguisher handy
:)

Justin"

What makes you think there have been no fires?  I asked Richard Hull
something once about pictures like that from the TCBOR guys and he
mentioned things like "a few fires and burns from home-made X-ray
tubes".  When I see pictures like that I often wonder what is happeneing
inside the plaster, in the windings of the bench grinder, inside the
fluorescent light fixture, etc.

Ed