Re: 20 joules at 100 bps vs 4 joules at 500 bps

Original poster: Steve Ward <steve.ward@xxxxxxxxx>

Hi Dmitry,

> Original poster: "Dmitry (father dest)" <dest@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> > Original poster: Steve Ward <steve.ward@xxxxxxxxx>
> >
> > On 8/4/05, Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > Original poster: "Dmitry (father dest)" <dest@xxxxxxxxxxx>

> > > if your Freau number is _slightly_ greater than 2 at 500v dc (9 feet),
> > >then how much is it at 450v dc (3 feet) - slightly greater than 1? :-)))
> >
> > Im not sure if you are trying to make an invalid assumption here or
> > not.
>
> if you not sure, then better just don`t ... ;-)
>
> > Most coils will not deliver their most efficient performance until you
> > reach a certain point (mine takes off when the buss voltage is about
> > 500V, and then continues to grow linearly after that).
>
> then maybe you`ll explain, what is so"interestingly" in that "my sparks
> would grow from say 3 feet at 450VDC to like 9 feet a 500VDC", huh?
> you speak by yourself, that "Most coils" do the same, so what was your point
> here, if it is well known long ago? :-)

What is *your* point now?  You, afterall, are not adding any new
information with posts like this.

Now, as to *my* point: it's interesting regardless of whether only my
coil, or if all tesla coils exhibit this.  Why is there such a sharp
knee if you were to plot voltage (primary) vs spark length?  Bang
energy should go up with V^2, but spark length increases with the
sqrt(bang energy).  So what is going on?  Why the sudden jump between
corona and fully grown leaders?  There also appears to be a specific
spot (voltage) where the output will go back and forth between small
sparks and very long ones, without me touching anything.

I also find that its only as noticable on LARGE coils (particularly
ones that generate >1m sparks, which relates to what Jim Lux said
about leader formation at this range of spark length, hence why i
posted in the first place).  My smaller TCs seemed to produce a very
gradual change from small corona to long leaders (seeming to be more
linear with voltage), but my larger SGTCs (and now the DRSSTC) seem to
have a much more pronounced knee.

Steve Ward