Re: 1994 article

At 02:28 PM 8/6/2005, you wrote:
Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz" <acmdq@xxxxxxxxxx>

Tesla list wrote:
Original poster: "Chris Rutherford" <chris1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
I can't understand why mini resonant transformers aren't used more in RF amplifiers and filters etc. Would they have a place in highly sensitive measurement equipment?

Resonant transformers are everywhere in RF circuits, but they are not Tesla coils, even if sometimes using practically the same circuit. A classic Tesla coil transfers energy from a charged capacitor in one side of the transformer to another, smaller, at the other side. This is a very particular mode of operation, and is not found in any common electronic device.

It's been used in high voltage pulsers. There was a description in the "Exploding Wires" book of a system which discharged a capacitor into a coil coupled to another one, which then transferred the charge to a large water filled capacitor, which then discharged through yet another coil (using a water gap that broke down), stepping up the voltage to yet another air dielectric capacitor.

The difference was that it was more of an impulse transfomer design, more critically damped, and certainly not repetitive.

Resonant testers for HV equipment are pretty close to tesla coils in operation, although the "topload" is the capacitance of the cable or equipment being tested.

However, as you say, these are hardly common.

On another note, hopefully Terry will let it go as it is just my opinion, but has anyone wondered why there is quite so much pseudoscience associated with Tesla, and where all of this rubbish comes from and why?

Electricity and magnetism appear to attract pseudoscience. I the book "De Magnete", published in 1600 by Gilbert, there is a section about the impossibility of extracting energy from magnets, and denoucing several pseudoscientific publications, at that time, describing devices claimed to produce perpetual motion based on magnetism.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz

And let us not forget M. Mesmer and "animal magnetism".