Re: 20 joules at 100 bps vs 4 joules at 500 bps

Original poster: "Malcolm Watts" <m.j.watts@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Dmitry,

On 5 Aug 2005, at 0:06, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Dmitry (father dest)" <dest@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>
>  > Original poster: Steve Ward <steve.ward@xxxxxxxxx>
>  >
>  > On 8/4/05, Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>  >  > Original poster: "Dmitry (father dest)" <dest@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>  >  >
>  >  >  > Original poster: Steve Ward <steve.ward@xxxxxxxxx>
>  >  >  >
>  >  >  > No wonder my larger DRSSTC has a Freau number greater than 2
>  >  >  > (confirmed 3300W input for 120" sparks).  And interestingly,
>  it >  >  > seems  that my sparks would grow from say 3 feet at 450VDC
>  to >  >  > like 9 feet a 500VDC... there was a very sharp point at
>  which the >  >  > sparks just took off (no pun intended). >  > >  >
>  if your Freau number is _slightly_ greater than 2 at 500v dc (9
>  feet), >  >then how much is it at 450v dc (3 feet) - slightly greater
>  than 1? :-))) > > Im not sure if you are trying to make an invalid
>  assumption here or > not.
>
> if you not sure, then better just don`t ... ;-)
>
>  > Most coils will not deliver their most  efficient performance until
>  you > reach a certain point (mine takes off  when the buss voltage is
>  about > 500V,  and then continues to grow  linearly after that).
>
> then maybe you`ll explain, what is so"interestingly" in that "my
> sparks would grow from say 3 feet at 450VDC to like 9 feet a 500VDC",
> huh? you speak by yourself, that "Most coils" do the same, so what was
> your point here, if it is well known long ago? :-)

In fact it was and it does apply to "larger coils. I remember well a
quote once from Richard Hull when speaking about his experience of
increasing power input to his Nemesis coil. To paraphrase he said
that up to about 7kW "the sparks grew slowly to about 2 - 3 feet" (I
am trying to recall all this you understand - you will come across it
one of his posts in the list archives). The he said "we added in
another kW and suddenly the 8 footers were there" or words to that
effect.

Malcolm