(Bill's experience) was Ball lightning - Terry's thoughts....

Original poster: wysock@xxxxxxx

<?xml version="1.0" ?>
Terry and all,
I did just the same thing as you wrote below...back in 1981.  D.C. Cox
was there to witness it.  He took the picture of the "man-made" lightning
bolt that resullted.  You see, instead of the Model 10 coil causing
the 1" coaxial spark gap at the top of the capacitor to "trigger", all
the stored energy (some 75 joules) decided to "dump" into the
Tesla coil arc channel.  You can see this picture on my web site at:
http://www.ttr.com.  Click on "History making images". From that page,
click on the top listing.  What I ended up doing was creating an
(unintended and rather very large) EMP.  I wiped out everyone's
electrical devices (including many of mine) for a radius of about 3
houses in all directions (that was VERY expensive)!  Not having a
large Faraday shielded room available, in which to repeat the
experiment and expand on the concept, I never repeated it again.
What appears to have happened is that the surge current from the
capacitor drained up the Tesla coil arc channel, down through the
secondary coil, and finally to ground.  I believe this surge current
created "forced" harmonic oscillations in the secondary coil, that
then raced out in all directions as an electromagnetic field.  Heck,
that pulse even took out 300 MHz PCM wireless transmitters, that
used to be a part of my security alarm system...every one of them!
(Also VERY EXPENSIVE)!
Best regards,
Bill Wysock.