Re: 20 joules at 100 bps vs 4 joules at 500 bps

Original poster: FutureT@xxxxxxx

In a message dated 8/9/05 6:42:02 PM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

I hate to propagate this never-ending thread that has no relationship to
its subject line, but...

Gary,

I'm glad you brought that up again since my findings agree
precisely with yours.  Folks should not assume that NST nameplate
ratings are indicative of actual power or VA usage.  The 135V
really helps to draw in the power too.

John

> Original poster: Terry Fritz <vardin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> Hi,
>
> The Freau formula's "1.7" factor is for NSTs.  NSTs are very power
> limited and predictable so the formula works over a wide variety of
systems.

<snip>

Using the faceplate power rating on an NST may often, IMO, seriously
understate the true power consumption.  Particularly when using LTR cap
sizes and a Variac-elevated higher than nominal mains voltage,
ferroresonance may occur and permit huge amounts of power to be drawn,
far in excess of the faceplate rating.  My unmodified 15/60 NST, with a
faceplate rating of 900W, should pull just 7.5 Amps @120VAC.  But the
reality is that under load, I peg my 20A meter @135VAC (this *with* PFC
caps).

Regards, Gary Lau