RE: DTSSTC electrolytics for performance?

Original poster: "Mccauley, Daniel H" <daniel.h.mccauley@xxxxxxxx>

This is all good in theory, but in practice this type of equation
doesn't quite work as there is a finite
impedance between the charging voltage (AC line) and the capacitor.  The
AC line usually will not be able to
recharge the capacitor to full capacity during each cycle.

What happens instead, is that during operation, the voltage(t) on the
cap will reach some steady-state condition and the voltage will be much
lower than what your calculated bus voltage will be.  So you have to
look at several things to determine exactly what is happening at the
capacitor.

Also, the voltage seen at the bridge will be reduced due to the ESR of
the capacitor as well.  As soon as a pulse initiates, the voltage at the
capacitor will drop at a rate of Ipeak * CapESR and can be considerable
especially if peak current is very high.  This is why its important to
use high quality electrolytics such as Powerlytics etc...

Dan