From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, August 11, 2005 1:08 PM
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: slo-syn motor frustration, can someone help?

Original poster: "Robert Hanford" <pomnept@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi All
I recently bought a great old 220v variac and it came with a slo-sync
motor to move the wiper. It was working nicely until one day it
(the motor) started just sort of trembling. I changed the 3u cap with
no luck and feeling that a winding was probably burnt out I found one
that is similar in all respects on e-bay, except that it is about
twice as long! It sort of works with a stuttering shuffling action
and I am thinking and hoping that maybe with a different cap/resistor
set up it might work.However being the incompetent person I am I was
hoping for some feedback on this before I do anything stupid! Replies
much appreciated.
Robert Hanford