Re: 20 joules at 100 bps vs 4 joules at 500 bps

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz" <acmdq@xxxxxxxxxx>

Tesla list wrote:
Original poster: "Denicolai, Marco" <Marco.Denicolai@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Hello Antonio, all,
Back from vacation I noticed my ugly typos... Of course ALL my given field strength were intended to be kV/cm.
- small gaps: 30 kV/cm
- medium gaps: 5 kV/cm (not kV/m)
- long gaps: 1 kV/cm (not kV/m)
For example, I have an electrostatic machine that can produce sparks
with up to 16.5 cm between 2.4 cm spheres. I can simulate this in the
Inca program, that predicts a breakdown voltage of 66.5 kV. Charging
the balls to +/- 33.25 kV, the electric field exactly between the balls
has a minimum of 96 kV/m. So, for sparks in this range, apparently
something as 100 kV/m is required.

Now the numbers make sense. 30 kV/cm at one of the electrodes to have breakout, and at least 1 kV/cm along all the way to the other terminal to have a spark. At least this is what appears to be for sparks in the range of several cm.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz