Re: NST Pulse Voltage- getting pole pigs

Original poster: Steve Conner <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

> There must be at least one
> per every 3 to 5 households!

Well not necessarily. In the UK, like many other
places in Europe, we use 230/400V three phase power,
and tend to live in cities with quite high population
density. So the standard practice is to use large
three phase pad mount transformers of about 100kVA
rating dotted around the place, fed by 11kV
underground cables. A network of chunky three
phase+neutral 400v cables then takes the power from
transformers to houses.

The odd thing is that we still use this method out in
the suburbs where houses are bigger and further apart,
and where pigs would start appearing in America. Even
in a small village, the power people will tend to use
a few big three-phase pigs, with distribution by 400v
overhead wires, instead of one pig per house. True
"pole pigs" that are useful for Tesla coiling only
appear way out in the countryside for supplying
isolated farm houses and the like. So there is maybe
one "proper" pig per 5,000 households if you consider
the country as a whole.

The padmount transformers do appear on eBay now and
again but they are always "Buyer collects" :(

Steve Conner