Re: electronic PWM variac

Original poster: "Peter Terren" <pterren@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

That was me.
http://tesladownunder.com/Solid%20State.htm#Solid%20state%20variac.
It really wasn't developed much as I got distracted into other things and I didn't finalise the schematic. You do lose a relatively large amount of mains power in the snubber to keep the spikes down so some things get hot but I haven't spent a lot of time on it to optimise it. The bridge rectifier worked fine though but I suspect that big switching spikes would be hard to suppress in a high current system.
As for the IGBT, I used a microwave oven (inverter type) one which are about 20 - 30A 600V.

Peter

A few months back, someone mentioned that they had built an "electronic variac" using a bridge rectifier and a single PWM FET. (I've done this for non-tesla coiling loads, like motors.)
I was curious about the ratings of that FET?
If I wanted to build something along these lines rated at, say, 50A, what sorts of inexpensive switching devices are there out there? It would be driven by something like an 555, and the chopping rate can be pretty low (few kHz to maybe 20 kHz or so), so it's not quite like running an SSTC at 300 kHz. I'd use a isolated power supply to power the 555 and FET drive circuitry. The 60A, 600V bridge rectifier's not a problem.....
Jim...