Re: secondary wire diameter

Hi Dmitry,

Im currently at 2m sparks (80 inches) using a 8x36 inch coil. My topload is a 6x24 inch toroid which I think is too small for my power level (2KW with SRSG). I get lot of strikes to the strike rail (4 inches above the primary) and if I raise the toroid some, I get corona and arcs from the corona ring to strike rail. I will try to lower the strike rail an inch or two, and I'm currently making a 8x32 toroid that I hope can be raised further and still have it shield the corona ring. If I can get the breakout to start further away from the center axis of the coil, I hope strikes to the strike rail will be less frequent. Anyway, hope this gives you an idea. You can view the coil in its earier configuation (last year running at an estimated 500watts wall power using two 15/30 NSTs with a static gap, computer simulations show a PF of about 0.5) The coil part and top load are the same as I have today.

http://www.hot-streamer.com/temp/The_coil.jpg
http://www.hot-streamer.com/temp/48_Inch_Streamers.jpg
http://www.hot-streamer.com/temp/59_Inch_Power_Arc.jpg

Gerry R.

Original poster: "Dmitry (father dest)" <dest@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Hello Gerry.

> Original poster: "Gerry  Reynolds" <gerryreynolds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Hi Dmitry,

> Congradulations on building your first coil.

it`s building "on the paper", one year still remains until _start_ of
real building - don`t forget about this ;-)

> Choose the height appropriately for the spark length you are planning on

and what height do you consider acceptable for 2m sparks?