813 VTTC Problems

Original poster: "Chris Fanjoy" <zappyman@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Still trying to get this dual 813 VTTC going, with no luck. The main problem right now is figuring out what to do with the extra grids (G2 and G3) of the 813 tubes. I didn't have anything to go by, so I connected both G2's together and connected them to the 4KVDC supply via a large 10kohm resistor, and left the G3's unused. The resistor violently exploded the instant power was applied. It's my understanding that the G2 of a tube isn't supposed to draw any current - so something must be wrong somewhere! I'm suspecting that one or both of the tubes may be bad; I'll be doing more tests but this time with a Variac, to confirm if this is the case or not.
How exactly should the G2 and G3 grids of these tubes be connected to the circuit? And are they actually supposed to draw current?
Thanks for any advice.