Re: The Electrum Project

Original poster: "Malcolm Watts" <m.j.watts@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Boris, Dmitry,

On 29 Aug 2005, at 13:31, Tesla list wrote:

> [...]
>  >  > revived by  "dart leaders" however.
>  >
>  > portion of what channel?
> -----
> Of an old channel (to air) path  that remains after
> the previous shot.
> For this to happen ,I guess ,TC spark does NOT need to
> atttach grounded target.
> Ever heard of CG lightning beta leaders?
> Some of these are traversed by high luminosity waves
> traveling from cloud charge source towards the stepped
> leader tip.Quite probably the waves are dart leaders.
> I imagine something like that can happen during
> powerful TC operation.However,as said ,I'm not so sure
> if that form of breakdown is trully a 'dart leader' or
> not.
> -----
>
>  > maybe it`s even not a dart leader at all?
>
> -----
> Dunno.
>  >From time to time ,I can't tell the difference between
> CNN news and street blues.
> -----
>
>  >
>  >  > Anycase,the benefit of using larger isotropic
>  >  > capacites I find in:
>  >
>  >  > d)As arc grows,its loading effect detunes 2-coil
>  >  > system.
>  >
>  > 3-coil system detunes too, as well as 2-coil?
> -----
> Both detunes.Speculation:Perhaps triple resonance
> systems are less sensitive to spark loadings?
> ----
>  >
>  >  > Tunning point shift should be generally less
>  >  > problematic for systems having resonators with
>  > big top
>  >  > capacities.
>  >
>  > comparing the streamer capacitance and toroid one -
>  > yes, but the big
>  > toroid produce bigger ion cloud across itself - this
>  > cloud detunes it
>  > more than smaller toroid, or in the same way -
>  > proportionally?
> -----
> I tend to disagree.
> For instance,consider chapters 5.4.3 and 5.4.4 from
> "Spark Discharge" and make appropriate
> comparations.Flash charge vs electrode size study in
> particular.I would spot there not very linear
> relationships.
> -----
>  >
>  >  > e)Lower resonating frequency and higher Q .
>  >
>  > Qs is proportional to sqrt [Ls/(Ctop+Cs)] - how
>  > could Ctop increasing
>  > cause increasing of Qs?
> -----
> It can.
> TCs are distributed circuits.Ls changes as one
> increases an electrode capacity.
> Q changes,to a certain point,too.
> You may want to ask Malcolm Watts about Q msms.He
> measured Qs of coils with toroids positioned at

I am sending Terry an email with a condensed version of two sets of
measurements I made somewhere back around 1996. I'm hoping he will
put them somewhere on hot-streamer and broadcast a pointer to the
list.

http://hot-streamer.com/temp/CoilMeasurements.zip

The first set was of a number of resonators I had built with
and without toploads. The second was a set made with a number of
resonators with different size disks mounted at different heights
above the resonators. I have marked a delineation between the two
sets of measurements. Each has its own test notes. I haven't made any
modifications to the originals - simply bundled them into a single
text file. I hope they might be of some use to you. I did them out of
pure interest and broadcast them to the list (might have been usa-
tesla?) when they were completed.
     FWIW I also have a set of measurements of various types of wire
and their influences on coil Qs when used as ground leads taken back
in 1995. That is when I discovered that stranded wire wasn't all that
great and that braid was abysmal.

Malcolm