Cap safety & spark gaps

Original poster: "MIKE HARDY" <MHARDY@xxxxxxxxxx>

Due to the recent discussions on safety gap, and air breakdown voltage, I need some clarification. Are you guys saying that if one has sufficient energy, and a resonant , or str cap, then charging voltage is dependent on spark gap length? This explains why output gets bigger as one opens the gap. So is this why a 35kV maxwell can blow with a 14.4 pig or PT? How does one keep there caps healthy in a ballast controled situation, where output is somewhat unlimited? I realize most ballasted coil configs use rotaries, but right now I'm using a sucker gap with my PT.