Re: Unpot ++

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz" <acmdq@xxxxxxxxxx>

Tesla list wrote:
Original poster: FIFTYGUY@xxxxxxx
In a message dated 11/29/05 2:48:30 PM Eastern Standard Time, tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:
 > The Jefferson does not appear to have shunts that I could remove. Is
 > any one on the list familiar with the inside of a Jefferson?
Yeah. I've got a Jefferson 15/30 that was part of a 15/120 farm I used for TC'ing 16 years ago. Seemed to survive just fine, despite the abuse it suffered. Then I pulled it out of storage last year to run a Jacob's ladder, and it died within the first two minutes. :( Now one side has zero output. Despite my unpotting it, poking around, measurement, and careful observation under power, I still can't figure out why. At the time, I noticed the construction you are talking about. The shunting is part of the lamination design, and yes, would require some sort of weld breaking followed by milling/grinding to remove. Perhaps you could drill holes through the lamination stack? Drilling through transformer iron is not *too* bad, if you use sharp bits and a steady fixture.
    I never did like Jefferson transformers of any type.

I have (had) one that was open, without any tar. 5000 V, 30 mA. But
it had some problem. The output was far from this, irregular, and the
secondary got very hot quickly. Possibly an internal short. I tried to
disassemble it and see if the short could be located and repaired, but
ended with a mess of broken wires while trying to unwind the outer
layers. It was also impossible to remove the coils from the core
without extensive destruction.
It is now waiting the next pass of the scrap iron guy.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz