Re: too much PFC capacitance?

Original poster: Skip Malley <skip@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Having too much PFC correction is effectively the same as not having enough. It will increase the total AC current draw once you go beyond the optimum capacitance. It is not something that will damage anything, but, for example, if you had twice the "optimum" capacitance, you would have exactly the same amount of AC current draw, but at the opposite phase angle as if you did not have the caps. The best way to measure this is with a current transformer with the appropriate load and an oscilliscope.

I have made a current transformer using an old small power transformer and a load resistor. I can connect it to any meter or scope and I get 1 Volt output per Amp of current. If anyone is interested, I can write up a description with details and post it. Email me off list if interested. If I get enough interest, I will spend the time to detail the relatively simple project.

Skip