Re: Secondary Material, Performance and Price

Hi Curt,

Agree with Terry here. The last relatively sized coil I built was with 8.5" PVC SCH.80. It isn't the greatest pvc to use as it's about 1/4" thick, but it did the job just fine. Something thinner would be a better choice. I've never purchased pvc. This 8.5" I found laying in back of the yard at work and asked if it was being saved for anything. They said "TAKE IT, PLEASE". So, it's now a decent high turn coil!

In my opinion, the former material isn't crucial. I've made my best sparks with the worst of materials (sonotube). It's cheap, and as long as you seal it inside and out with a thinned out polyurethane (so that it soaks into the cardboard material), it will last forever and will not be prone to humidity changes as unsealed forms are (and less likely to carbon track). You could make a perfectly good coil with a toilet paper roll if you wanted to (kind of short however). Just use "former common sense" when using whatever form you choose. PVC is hygroscopic (absorbs moisture, dries out, acclimates to environment). Always seal form to prevent drastic environmental changes and the coil will always do well, whatever it is.

Take care,
Bart

Tesla list wrote:

Hi Curt,

Most "normal people" don't use 8" PVC. But it is common and dirt cheap if you ask plumbers and contractors who throw hundreds/thousands of scrap pieces away every year... Get a good idea of what you are looking for and start calling around. I bet someone will be happy to pull some out of the trash to sell you ;-))) Construction worker friends or just wandering around a big construction site and asking usually works... Electrical contractors also tend to have plenty of pipe laying around for special stuff...

City water and sewer folks probably throw a few truck loads of odd sections away every month too...

If you do have to buy it, you need to go to real contractor / heavy construction type suppliers. They may cut it to length for you or just give you a good part of a damaged pipe free...

Once the pipe is cut to say 5 feet, it is often "just trash" they would otherwise have to pay to have hauled off... Be careful, they may convince you to take a carload home with you and come back for more :o))

Cheers,

        Terry