Re: Mark's DRSSTC II pictures

Original poster: Steve Ward <steve.ward@xxxxxxxxx>

Hi Marc,

I notice your bypass caps placed on your main filter caps, interesting
idea... it was something i was thinking about doing when people began
asking about primary strikes taking out the inverter.

Some things that worry me:

The clip on your strike ring has very sharp edges that point upward...
forms a wonderful point for corona and possible arc-over.

The primary taps also have sharp points... with couplings this high,
field control is extremely crucial.  Ive gone through a lot just to
keep sharp points to a minimum with my coils, i think you will see why
when you fire that up.  You may need to use some plastic insulation to
help eleviate the problem (this sometimes does work, but often makes
things worse).

You are using secondary feedback... and while Dan got his setup to
work fine that way, ive always had problems and even pspice
simulations suggest its not the right way to go as it never gives true
zero-current switching.

You will need a breakout point on that toroid (probably already knew that).

Coupling might be too tight, but that will be determined once you fire it up.

Twist the wires of your GDT primaries together to lower the leakage
inductance of that wiring.

Aside from those small things, it looks nicely built.  I look forward
to your results.

Steve Ward