Re: 48kW DRSSTC and RELIABILITY

Original poster: Jimmy Hynes <jphynes@xxxxxxxxx>

First of all, I don't think I have much to add on making it survive primary strikes, since Conner pretty much has it figured out. As he said, it's all common mode (if you keep that decoupling good), and the GDT would be the weak point, so shielding it like that should fix it.

The "old solution" of just preventing the strikes can be just as effective. Instead of one strike rail, use 3 or 4. Since I did that, I have gotten a ton of strikes to the strike rail, but none to the primary, so it doesn't even matter if I 'fixed' it in that regard. It has yet to get past the first line of defense :-)

> Lastly, I should mention that I owe one to Steve Ward and Jimmy
> Hynes. They were kind enough to share their DRSSTC experimental
> results and ideas with me, so my design could build on all their
> findings too. This was the main reason I chose to make it an ope n design.

Yeah, sure, you can owe me one if you want.... But I kinda had to, otherwise you couldn't have helped me so much to get it working :P. Not that it wouldn't have been an open design anyway... :-)